450g / 1lb mixed dried fruits and nuts, such as roughly chopped apricots, quartered glace cherries, roughly chopped nuts, sultanas and raisins
100g / 4oz soft butter
1x5ml spoon / 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
175g / 6oz light muscovado sugar
225ml / 8fl oz water
2 large eggs, beaten
300g / 10oz self-raising wholemeal flour
2x5ml spoon / 2 teaspoon ground ginger
100-175g / 4-6oz stem ginger, drained of syrup, roughly chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (Fan) / Gas 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm/8in deep round cake tin.
- Measure prepared fruit and nuts, butter, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and water into a large pan.
- Bring up to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Add the eggs, flour, ground ginger and stem ginger.
- Mix to thoroughly combine and turn into a prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour 15 mins until golden brown.
- Cool in the tin before turning out on to a wire rack.