8oz (225g) short crust pastry
3/4pt (450ml) sweet cider
1lb (450g) cooking apples (peeled, cored and cut into 8 slices)
2oz (50g) sugar
1oz (25g) cornflour
1oz (25g) chopped almonds
1oz (25g) icing sugar
1. Roll out the pastry and line a 7in (17.5cm) flan tin.
2. Prick with a fork and bake at 400oF/200oC/Gas Mark 6 for 25 minutes.
3. Bring the cider to boiling point and add the sliced apples.
4. Simmer the apples until cooked and remove from the cider.
5. Top up the cider if necessary to ½ pint (300ml).
6. Beat the eggs and sugar together, beat in the cornflour.
7. Add the hot cider a little at a time, return to the heat and stir until thick and creamy.
8. Arrange the apple slices in the pastry case and pour over the cider custard.
9. Smooth the top and sprinkle with almonds.
10. Cover with sifted icing sugar and brown under a hot grill. Serve either hot or cold