The original recipe was for Courgette & Hazelnut Cake, from one of the physicists in the Bristol Radiotherapy Department, but it works equally well with desiccated coconut, or ground pecans/walnuts/ pistachios instead of hazelnuts.
100g chopped/ ground hazelnuts (if doing your own grinding, make sure to use blanched hazelnuts so no skins)
225g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
210ml sunflower oil
30ml walnut oil
225g courgettes (topped, tailed but not peeled)
280g s/r flour
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp ground cinnamon
- Whisk sugar, eggs, oils in mixer till thick and pale.
- Grate courgette, and squeeze in a tea towel/ muslin to remove water.
- Add courgettes to oil mixture. Sift in flour, salt and cinnamon.
- Fold gently and add nuts.
- Put into oiled tin (or 20cm cake tin) and bake at 180oC for 50-55 mins.
- Ice with Philadelphia/cream cheese icing.
- If using a filling, try lemon or lime curd.